Read preview. Synopsis In this classic work of American religious history, Robert Middlekauff traces the evolution of Puritan thought and theology in America from its origins in New England through the early eighteenth century. He focuses on three generations of intellectual ministers--Richard, Increase, and Cotton Mather--in order to challenge the traditional telling of the secularization of Puritanism, a story of faith transformed by reason, science, and business. Delving into the Mathers' private papers and unpublished writings as well as their sermons and published works, Middlekauff describes a Puritan theory of religious experience that is more creative, complex, and uncompromising than traditional accounts have allowed.
At the same time, he portrays changing ideas and patterns of behavior that reveal much about the first hundred years of American life. Excerpt When I wrote The Mathers , the study of Puritanism was well established; indeed, it constituted a subfield in both the history of religion and intellectual history. Morison and Murdock had broad interests and their work was. Monro H. Wilson, Read preview Overview. Crowell, Grigg; Peter C. Mancall ABC Clio, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Vol. In Search of the City on a Hill. Dr Richard M. Introduction to the History of Christianity in the United States.
- The Mathers; Three Generations of Puritan Intellectuals, 1596-1728.
- The Mathers: Three Generations of Puritan Intellectuals, 1596–1728.
- Wittgensteins Analysis Of The Paradoxes In His Lectures On The Foundations Of Mathematics.
- MATLAB The Language of Technical Computing (Mathematics) ~ Version 7?
- Ego sum.
- Moon Palace: A Novel!
Jonathan Edwards. Philip F.hapredwa.pro
The Mathers by Robert Middlekauff - Paperback - University of California Press
In Search of the Narrow Way. Michael A. The Puritan Experiment. American Lutheranism. Friedrich Bente. The Founders and the Bible. Carl J.
- Customer Reviews;
- The Mathers: Three Generations of Puritan Intellectuals, by Robert Middlekauff?
- Increase Mather Facts.
- Wild Magic: The Godwars Book 3!
- Solving Problems with Design Thinking: Ten Stories of What Works?
- Methods of Noncommutative Analysis: Theory and Applications?
- ISBN 13: 9780195013054;
The New England Soul. Harry S. Reading the Bible with the Founding Fathers. Daniel L. The Captive's Position. Teresa A. The First Thanksgiving. Robert Tracy McKenzie. The Making of the Primitive Baptists. James R.
The Mathers: three generations of Puritan intellectuals, 1596-1728
Sacred Violence in Early America. Susan Juster. Female Piety and the Invention of American Puritanism. Bryce Traister. The Uneasy Center. Paul K. The First Prejudice.
Chris Beneke. The Baptism of Early Virginia. Rebecca Anne Goetz. Godly Republicanism. Michael P. The Cambridge History of American Literature. Woodbridge Riley.
- The Mathers: Three Generations of Puritan Intellectuals, 1596-1728;
- Principles of Protein Structure.
- The Cambridge Companion to Harold Pinter!
- The Power of Art (2nd edition).
- Climate and Catastrophe in Cuba and the Atlantic World in the Age of Revolution (Envisioning Cuba);
- The Mathers : Three Generations of Puritan Intellectuals, – - asimaqacyd.ml;
- Medical Virology.
Words, Works, and Ways of Knowing. Sara Paretsky. The Great Awakening. Mark C. Protestants in America. Thomas Paine. Gospel of Disunion. Mitchell Snay. James A. In the Beginning Was the Word. David D. The First American Evangelical. Rick Kennedy. To Live Ancient Lives. Theodore Dwight Bozeman. Making Heretics. The Benevolent Deity. Robert J. Wilson III. Godly Letters. Michael J. Noah's Curse. Stephen R. Women in Early American Religion Marilyn J. Du Bois on Religion. Phil Zuckerman. The Founders on Religion. James H. Era of Persuasion. Brooks Holifield.
Unity in Christ and Country.
About This Item
William Harrison Taylor. John Woolman and the Government of Christ. Jon R. Visible Saints. The Devil and Doctor Dwight. Colin Wells. The Chance of Salvation.
ISBN 13: 9780195021158
Lincoln A. Exodus and Liberation. John Coffey. Peter J. Demanding Liberty. Brandon J. The Profane, the Civil, and the Godly. Richard P. American Unitarianism and the Protestant Dilemma. Lydia Willsky-Ciollo. The Long Argument. Stephen Foster.
A Speaking Aristocracy. Christopher Grasso. Emerson's Emergence. Mary Kupiec Cayton. Sarah Rivett. The Essential Elias Hicks. Princeton Seminary in American Religion and Culture.